Abundant Life Building

City/Town: Tulsa
Location Class: Commercial
Year Built: Around 1958 | Year Abandoned: 1980's
Status: Endangered
Photojournalist: Billy DixonDavid LindeJohnny Fletcher

“In the yellowed pages of an old newspaper, local officials called the building “one of Tulsa’s finest” and a peek at the “future of our city.” But the future hasn’t turned out quite the way people expected.

Some five decades after the ribbon-cutting ceremony, local officials are calling that same building an “eyesore” and a “disaster,” an abandoned hulk standing in the way of development.

Constructed in 1958 as the world headquarters for the Oral Roberts ministry, the Abundant Life Building looks something like a 7-story-tall concrete block.

The modernist architect, Cecil Stanfield, didn’t bother to include windows — a feature that was supposed to reduce the energy bill. At the time, the windowless bulk was said to make the design fresh and innovative.” – Ref. Tulsa World

There is still an ongoing battle between the current owner (who is facing major fines because of code violations) and the city as to what will become of the building. Its also referred to as the “Diamond Building” or the “Diamond Tower”.

I’d like to point out that this building was one of the creepiest places I have ever been in. 7 stories, no windows, and pitch black hallways and rooms gave this place a creep factor of 9 out of 10.

I know its been a mystery as to what was inside this building. Inside is basically an office building frozen in the 1980’s. A leaky roof is destroying the interior. Some neat features are an entrance lobby with marble walls, a very large freight elevator going down to the basement and a projector room overlooking a large open room on the top floor.  Also, unless you have the ability to walk through walls, there is no way in.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Liked it? Help AOK take action to save some of these places on Patreon! Donations will help fund clean ups, securing of buildings and hopeful restorations as we work with the owners who want to bring them back to life.
Share.

Notify of
guest
52 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
White Rabbit
White Rabbit
6 months ago

Another building with no windows is East Central High School in Tulsa. It’s creepy even though it’s in use.

Isaac
Isaac
1 year ago

1720 south boulder ave.

Patricia
Patricia
1 year ago

Almost every picture shows multiple sources of friable asbestos, partially destroyed. A honesless man fell down the elevator shaft and died a few years ago. It sits unrenevated due to cost of asbestos remediation, so they keep it locked up. Stay safe.

Cjones
Cjones
3 years ago

My Father died in that building. He was in the elevator counterweight shaft doing repairs and the elevator was supposed to be shut down by the owners of the building. It was not. This was before the days of OSHA. A law suit was brought against The Oral Roberts Foundation but they fought it and my Mother was awarded a very small settlement but nothing near what she deserved. She is now in her 80's and lives on a small social security check and Medicaid. She should have been awarded millions but instead Oral Roberts' grandchildren take corporate jets to… Read more »

Melissa Robins
Melissa Robins
Reply to  Cjones
2 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your family history here. I vaguely recall hearing something about your father’s death. I pray one day you can let go of your bitterness, though I do understand it. For your sake though. May your mother and your family be blessed with the peace of knowing you did no harm and have clear hearts.

شركة تنظيف بالطائف
3 years ago

This information is really useful for us cleaning makka

trackback
3 years ago

[…] office by Southwestern Bell in the 1980s. More information can be found at the Historic Tulsa and Abandoned Oklahoma sites. Abandoned Oklahoma has some shots of the interior including the marble […]

Diamond Buyers
Diamond Buyers
4 years ago

Digital copies of old newspapers are available online, however you may still need to go through the library because they generally are contained in databases (which are not searchable through Internet search engines Sell Diamonds Online For Cash, Sell Diamonds Online, Best Place To Sell Diamonds, Sell Diamonds For Cash, Sell Your Diamonds For Cash

Autonomy
Autonomy
4 years ago

I flew my Drone around it and posted it to YouTube.

Henry Kissenger
Henry Kissenger
4 years ago

5 mistakes? Your parents only made one…

Havard Cooper
4 years ago

A good architect has an objective of designing a livable place but modern architect bears an additional capability to perform the task of designing houses with more imagination and creativity. Visit Us to read details-:Havard Cooper

Best Wishes
Steven

Andi_rent projector
4 years ago

… nice information… Sewa _ Bandung

Jewel Sanborn
Jewel Sanborn
4 years ago

I have been assigned to do a report for our school newspaper on this subject, and your post has been beneficial. Can you please add more reference to this topic, thanks.
Seo Services

Cebu Image
4 years ago

I agree it is now creepy. I was wondering if the projector is still usable. maybe it is now good for decoration

Terry Seay
Terry Seay
4 years ago

The asbestos inside has stopped any progress on getting this building restored.when I worked in there as an electrician, a guy in a basement office put a big curtain on the wall.People that came in his office had to ask or sneak a peek if he left the room.He got a lot of laughs out of it because behind it was a concrete block wall. When we would show up on a floor to do a job, the SW Bell employees would want to know what the weather was doing outside.

Whyamialive
Whyamialive
5 years ago

1710 S Boulder Ave
Tulsa, Oklahoma

its not that hard to find it….

Douglas Fournet
Douglas Fournet
6 years ago

Been looking for a way to get in for a while now, has anyone actually been inside recently? Please message me if you have or know how to. Thanks!

Edgunz
Edgunz
Reply to  Douglas Fournet
5 years ago

Yes I know a way in. I give many tours of this place. 9188108544

Walter Phillips
7 years ago

also who do I contact about exploring the building and how do I get in? Please let me know.

Ethan
Ethan
Reply to  Walter Phillips
4 years ago

me.

Walter Phillips
7 years ago

do you have any photos of the room underneath the drop ceiling.

Copyright 2008-2020 by AbandonedOK.com - board@AbandonedAtlas.com - Designed By Michael Schwarz - Disclaimer

Have history here? Would love hear your stories or your thoughts.x
x