|City/Town: • Oklahoma City|
|Location Class: • Commercial|
|Year Built: • 1978 | Year Abandoned: • 2004|
|Status: • Demolished|
|Photojournalist: • AbandonedOK Team • Michael Schwarz|
This bank was photographed in the 1960s by the famous architectural photographer Julius Shulman and has appeared in many art photography books. This wonderful structure stands empty today and is clearly suffering from deferred maintenance, but it’s such a cool structure that people need to see. Take a look at the blue tile and the amazing wavy roof! This bank could have easily been built near the beach in California. The building was designed by the firm of Wright and Selby. The architect James Wright was also listed served as a director of the Central State Bank – the original owner of the wavy drive in.
When the Central State Bank built this in 1956 (or thereabouts) there was lots of controversy over whether or not this “drive in” site was a separate branch (which would have made it subject to different rules) or just a site to make deposits. The much larger drive-thru that looked similar to the smaller wavy building and was next to the spire was dismantled a couple of years ago, leaving this smaller, secondary drive-thru abandoned and all alone. Someone who works in the building to the north of the wave has told a friend that there is still a tunnel and a set of spiral stairs from that building to the teller booths.