Harjo Consolidated District No.5

City/Town: Harjo
Location Class: School
Year Built: 1930 | Year Abandoned: N/A
Status: Abandoned
Photojournalist: Jennifer BurtonLeslie Flaming

Consolidated District No 5 is located in a small abandoned town in Pottawatomie county known as Harjo. Harjo was an unincorporated community and had a post office established June 24, 1921. Mail service was discontinued on August 31, 1954.

Little is known about the history of the school. It was built in 1930 along with a residential house for the acting principal of the school. It sets on 5 hill top acres and includes the small house for the principal, a rock building used as the cafeteria that is still mostly intact, a storm shelter and an 8 classroom school with an auditorium and stage. There is an additional building that housed the restrooms and it is in disrepair. Also, there are the ruins of an old gymnasium that collapsed in on itself over a year ago. It is no longer, nor has it been for a long time, an Entertainment Center Spot, where athletes joined to play each other.

Recently the property was purchased with the hopes of restoring the buildings and using the property as a school for handicapped children. Unfortunately the funding to do so became unavailable and the future of the school is unknown.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Liked it? Help AOK take action to save some of these places on Patreon! Donations will help fund clean ups, securing of buildings and hopeful restorations as we work with the owners who want to bring them back to life.
Share.

Notify of
guest
30 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Butch
Butch
11 months ago

Graduated from Harjo in 1966… played basketball and baseball (down the road) Paul Lucy’s mom was the cook…nice healthy food….Butch

Wanda Zuege
Wanda Zuege
2 years ago

My Grandmother was Ollie Maxwell Freeman Mauldin. Her stepsister, Lula Freeman, graduated from this school so I thought I'd check and see if anyone knows what became of Ollie? She married at 19 to Clementhe Mauldin, had two sons; Hubert Mauldin and Kenneth E. Mauldin (my father). I think she died shortly after her second child. Any info about Ollie would be most appreciated. Send to atp1682@yahoo.com

PC Suites
4 years ago

Nice.

kingroot apk
4 years ago

Nice and cool

android apps apk
4 years ago

Very nice design and style and excellent articles , hardly anything else we need : D.

Disney Cartoon
5 years ago

Wow very nice article

??? ?????
5 years ago

Gerald Lamirand
Gerald Lamirand
5 years ago

Hi. My family and I attended this school. I was in the first grade. I believe there were 3 classes in one room. Lots of memories there. 2 of my aunts attended there in high school. My family and my grandparents and 2 aunts lived on an 80-acre lease in the country and rode the bus to school. Some of the families in the area were: Foughty, Patterson, Lamirand, Jett, Moon and many more that I cannot remember. Garland Lucy was our bus driver and his wife worked in the lunch room. We attended basketball games and other activities in… Read more »

Copyright 2008-2020 by AbandonedOK.com - board@AbandonedAtlas.com - Designed By Michael Schwarz - Disclaimer

Have history here? Would love hear your stories or your thoughts.x
x