Page Woodson

Year Built: 1910
Year Abandoned: 1994
Status: Restored
Photojournalist: Cody CooperJustin Tyler MooreMichael Schwarz

1910 Lowell Elementary

Lowell School

Originally built as the Lowell School in 1910, this date was engraved above the west entrance. It quickly grew in enrollment Students were held to a standard of morality and hygiene and teachers cared about keeping students on track. Some teachers even taking polls of which students brushed their teeth and telling them if they didn’t they would lose their social class cast. The Oklahoma City Times 01 Nov 1922, reported “When a boy plays truant, he usually gets into trouble and the police officers get him. He goes up before the judge and then reform school. It was such a case as this last year in Lowell School, that took Mrs. Anna Burks Love, principal, down to the courthouse to beg clemency of the judge. The lad was paroled to Mrs. Love.” Holmboe Construction was given a contract for an addition to Lowell School, work commenced on July 17, 1919, and the crew was given 120 days to complete it.

1933 Douglass High School

“The Pirates of Penzance,” by Gilbert & Sullivan, Operetta performed by Douglas High School students, Oklahoma City, OK, directed by Mrs. Zelia N. Breaux. Photo by G.E. Ginter, Oklahoma City, OK, c.1937.

Another addition of twenty-nine rooms, a pool, a gymnasium, auditorium and a stage was added onto Lowell as “Douglass High School” at a price of $195,000. A two-sided cornerstone was laid for the new building reading;

Let there be light

George R. Ragland Chairman
W.L. Vaughn / E.W. Perry
J.J. Dawson / L.C. Cleaves
J.J. Josephs / E. W. Caruthers
E.R. Richards / J.D. Nelson
A.D. 1933 / W.L. Haywood

Douglass High School Drum Corps, directed by Mrs. Zelia N. Breaux, Oklahoma City, OK. L to R: Front: 1-2. UNIDENTIFIED, 3. June Bennett, 4. UNIDENTIFIED, 5. Vivian Moon, 2nd Step: 3. Murdire Morrow, 6. Barbara, 3rd Row: 2. Thelma Jones, Back Row: 3. Burleigh, c.1946. Photo by Pendley, Oklahoma City, OK.

The name was officially changed to just Douglass High School, a separate school for the community of Oklahoma City. Unlike any other separate school in the area, the Douglass High School Trojans were the most elite programs, best facility, and most reputable students and staff. Monumental in size and pride the school stood out in the Black community rather than be hidden amongst industrial buildings like previous schools that bore the same name. The school is significant today as it is the oldest school still in existence in Oklahoma City, used for the purpose of segregating African American students from white students. In 1955, Douglass High School was renamed to F.D. Moon Middle School after its principal and it wasn’t long before it was renamed again in 1960 as Woodson School whose mascot was a wildcat. A tragedy occurred in the swimming pool in April of 1966 when a student tragically drowned. He was rushed to an ambulance by firemen and attendants.

1975 Page Woodson Fifth-Year Center

Woodson Wildcats play soccer during PE class ca. April 28, 1978

In 1975, the school was renamed Page Woodson not very different from its last name and operated as a  fifth-year center. Fifth-year centers were experimented with in Oklahoma City and most failed due to dispersion of population and desegregation, there weren’t enough students to fill the giant schools Columbus Elementary is another example of this. One year before closing the school implemented an acceleration center for students that were in danger of having to repeat the year. But the fact that it was a fifth-year center proved to be the reason for Page Woodson’s closing in 1994. The community refused to give up on the more than a century old school, even though fires had been set throughout the years of its abandonment. In 2015, two fires were intentionally set and thankfully firefighters were able to arrive on the scene early enough to put it out without significant damage.

But because of the fires and amount of decay from years of abandonment, renovation costs were estimated to be around $5 million, something the community wouldn’t be able to raise by themselves. With the help of James Bradshaw who bought the school and of Gina Sofola, liaison for the project development was underway to make it affordable housing.

Page Woodson / Douglass High School – Restored! – Micro-Doc

– Produced by Michael Schwarz (Prairie Nation Creative, LLC)

Gallery Below

Bibliography

“1 Nov 1922, 6 – The Oklahoma City Times at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/612428181/?terms=Lowell%2Bschool.

“12 Jul 1919, Page 1 – The Oklahoma City Times at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/174847427/?terms=lowell%2Bschool%2Baddition.

“14 Mar 1999, 498 – The Daily Oklahoman at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/454391528/?terms=page%2Bwoodson%2Bschool.

“19 Jul 1993, 64 – The Daily Oklahoman at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/453603392/?terms=page%2Bwoodson%2Bschool.

“21 Sep 1933, 1 – The Oklahoma News at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/594902459/?terms=lowell%2Bschool%2Baddition.

“30 Jun 1910, 8 – The Daily Oklahoman at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/441316053/?terms=Lowell%2Bschool.

“[Photograph 2012.201.B0975.0202].” The Gateway to Oklahoma History, 28 Apr. 1978, gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc1292847/?q=page%20woodson.

“History.” Affordable Modern Apartments | Page Woodson Apartments, www.pagewoodsonokc.com/history.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Liked it? Help AOK take action to save some of these places on Patreon! Donations will help fund clean ups, securing of buildings and hopeful restorations as we work with the owners who want to bring them back to life.
Share.

Notify of
guest
198 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Meg
Meg
9 years ago

It is extremely saddening what this place has become. The first time I stumbled upon this school was about five years ago. There was very little graffiti and much of the original artifacts were still in place. It was incredibly interesting and filled with memories. This school is not at all what it used to be. Too many people have found out about this school and is now in shambles. It is disheartening that people are not at all concerned about preserving history and instead would like to steal and tear the place apart. Please quit destroying the place so… Read more »

justin
justin
Reply to  Meg
6 years ago

i went there last night and it was horrifying

Michelle
Michelle
9 years ago

This place isn't haunted. The noises everyone is hearing are most likely due to vagrants wandering around in there or the wind. I noticed several times, while in there, that the screens on the windows were causing a lot of the "banging" noises. It is creepy, I agree, but don't let your imagination run wild.

alanna
alanna
Reply to  Michelle
6 years ago

I AM sorry to tell you that it is, I went to this school in the 5 th grade, I was supposed to go get a ball that had bounced downstairs to the pool, no body was down there, I was terrified, I froze on the stairs for a few minutes when all of a sudden then ball came bouncing back at me! A couple years ago my daughter's boyfriend was asking about the school, I drove by it, he got out and started walking around the building, I stayed in the car with my daughter, he boyfriend ran and… Read more »

lizzy
lizzy
9 years ago

been there a few times with freinds the first time nothing happened but the second time as we were goin thru the window and it was me and my friend trying to get the others to come in and stop being scared we were walking toward the door and heard something falling down the stairs and another time we felt a breeze as we were goin up the stairs we left after about an hour cus my brother felt sick and passed out in the audatorium

donita
donita
9 years ago

hey wesley, sorry for the delayed response,,,,,,i can offer proof,,,,thats not a problem,,,,,,im sure that my daughter still has all of the pics on her camera,,,,,,,not only that, i wasn't alone,,there were at least 6 of us each time i went,,,,,,,another party has equipment that he used that night and he has been back several times since then and obtained more proof,,,,,,to add i am a clairvoyant….(hope i spelled that right lol)…….i can see spirits as well as hear them,,,,,spirits pick us out in places like that or period,,,,,,,,i don't like it but its who i am,,,,,,if you like, we… Read more »

Palmer
Palmer
9 years ago

Ok I went to the school at 1:00a.m with one little led flashlight and two of my friends yea one light between the three of us!! At first I was like damn we have to crawl through these tiny windows in the showers!! We headed up to the gym it was pretty cool but we were not scared going in every class room and looking around but we found our way to the auditorium and we went down to the basement bye accident we got lost!! It was pretty cool we saw the aspestic sign in the basement so we… Read more »

raeven
raeven

damn!!!!!!

bob
bob
10 years ago

watch out for the crackheads that are squatin in the building……one of them was tweekin hardcore and almost stabbed us with a piece of glass

Dara
Dara
Reply to  bob
9 years ago

That's why I am scared to go in there!!!! I went last night and stood outside…I know there are weirdos in there..that's what freaks me out about it..

AbandonedOK
10 years ago

Hello all and thank you for all your great comments. Just as a reminder, the locations on this site are here for historical purposes only. Each time someone enters the school, it falls into further disrepair. I know that it doesn't seem like you are causing any damage, but each footstep causes the wood to rot faster and the mess harder to clean up. Please respect this location as well as this site. I would hate to see Abandoned Oklahoma have to censor our locations. I know you all understand and we thank you for your continued support!

Abby
Abby
Reply to  AbandonedOK
9 years ago

I completely agree and thank you for the hard work you all put into each site. I really enjoy reading the history and seeing the pictures of these amazing places that are so close to the area yet I never knew that several of them even existed.

Riley
Riley
10 years ago

Does anybody no about the deaths that supposedly occurred in the school?

donita
donita
Reply to  Riley
9 years ago

a janitor killed some kids in the school is what my friend who is a paranormal investigator told me,,,says that a man that lives in the area of the school told him that,,,,,

Dmitri Doerr
Dmitri Doerr
Reply to  donita
9 years ago

I don`t no anything about no killings. Do you no anymore about the killings? Or is that all you no?

donita
donita
Reply to  Dmitri Doerr
9 years ago

im sorry:( thats all i know. i had a card with his name and number on it but lost track of it,,,,he has a deep interest in this kind of stuff,,,,i stopped after i went into this place for the last time, he usually looks at these post but never c0mments,,,,,HEY SEAN D! IF YOU CATCH THIS, PLEASE EMAIL ME! some of these nice folks would love to hear some details about your findings regarding this place,,,,love ya!!!!

mekenna
mekenna
Reply to  donita
8 years ago

there was a lil girl that had drowned

joshua
joshua
10 years ago

i just went here last weekend, it was pretty creepy except the fact that we were the third group to show up that night. sooooo, pretty much if you do visit this place, do it during the week nights and keep the crowd down to five or less to really make it as scary as it should be. btw, BE CAREFUL! there is broken glass literally everywhere and it is very easy to slip and fall in it.

All
All
Reply to  joshua
10 years ago

dude i was there to! there were like 50 people there and i showed up with the westmoore highschool people!

Nicholas Rogers
Nicholas Rogers

::Sigh::

Quite frankly, it is really sad to see all these people degrading an ACTUAL LANDMARK down to some "haunted house". Stop it with the made-up ghost stories, they're disrespectful. Go to a haunted house forum or something, not a genuine abandoned buildings website.

Nicholas Rogers
Nicholas Rogers
10 years ago

I'm with Wesley, here. Notice that rather than provide evidence to your claims, you instead tried to defend them before people actually showed any skepticism? Hell, you put your post in ALL CAPS, showing that you were angry that no one believed your story. Scientists don't do that. Only people who don't have a case to make try to use emotion over evidence to support their claims.

donita
donita
Reply to  Nicholas Rogers
9 years ago

nicholas, this is not my profession! i am not a scientist! i wasn't angry at all when i posted the comment. i have no reason at all to be angry in regards to this issue. i know that some simply do not believe that spirits, ghost, and demons exist. everyone is entitled to their opinion. i know what i saw, i know what i went through and there are others that witnessed it all. i'm not trying to start a war about my experience but, i just do not like to be judged when i reallly didn't mean any harm.

Jami
Jami
10 years ago

I went there the other day, but I'm very fascinated by it. If anybody could give me more information about the school, like why was it abandoned, and the story behind it, If somebody knows please email me at jami_hensley@hotmail.com.

Thank you.

MandaBanana
MandaBanana
10 years ago

and he looked up before getting closer to the door he was like guys who did this??? and there was a jacket hanging from the center of the principle office door which was not there 3 minutes prior to that because we walked into that door. I just freaked and almost cried everyone that was with us was on the other side of the principle office. It was not our friends. We walked past the hanging jacket and everyone but me still wanted to explore and as soon as we got into the hallway we heard something make the loudest… Read more »

Sam
Sam
Reply to  MandaBanana
9 years ago

it is a big place. chances are there was someone else there. nothing paranormal about it. ridiculous.

mandabanana
mandabanana
Reply to  Sam
9 years ago

it was 3 in the morning and we never got far from the stairway there was no one else up there. i promise it was really scary

MandaBanana
MandaBanana
10 years ago

A couple of my friends like to go into the school just for fun really late at night and Sunday they asked if I wanted to go and I said no but we still went and we went through the auditorium and there were black pants laying across one chair and a jacket on the ground there was just random things everywhere. We went up the stairs and came to a hallway we went into one of the classrooms

Michael
10 years ago

me and my friends went there last night and i made a video that im going to post on youtube its only about 55 secs long and its hard to see anything but if you listen at about 44 secs into the video you hear a BANG then a door creek. it was 6 of us all walking in the middle of the hall way.. none of us were close to the doors.. Youtube.com/MJEshow

joe
joe
Reply to  Michael
10 years ago

experienced the exact same thing ..me and my two friends watch the door close in the hallway

Wesley
Wesley
Reply to  Michael
10 years ago

I hear several people walking and something creaking underfoot (presumably broken glass). . I hear joking around. . I DO NOT see what everyone else is doing at that moment. .

Must be a ghost or supernatural presence!

sam
sam
Reply to  Wesley
9 years ago

or there is someone else there. or wind. way too easy to prove that it was not paranormal. It is far too exposed to the elements and to people being able to easily get in. nice try though.

sam
sam
Reply to  Wesley
9 years ago

not to mention i doubt it would conveniently happen at the end of a video that is less than a minute. i say it is fake.

jose
jose
10 years ago

i went there today i was scared at first but once we were inside we only heard like two noises but thats it we didnt feel nothing or saw nothing but i might go bac there again just to see what would happen this time

TheCakeisaLie
TheCakeisaLie
10 years ago

I went there tonight… it's not that scary. Sure… when we showed up it was at the last few minutes of sunlight and once that went down our single flashlight (there were 3 of us) wasn't exactly the most illuminating thing in the world… but all the same, it wasn't too bad. The auditorium is indeed the creepiest area, but that's just because of the empty seats and a hint of stage fright. Other than that… expect to see a TON of broken glass all over the place. The place is pretty cleaned out but it's definitely worth seeing. The… Read more »

Dara
Dara
Reply to  TheCakeisaLie
9 years ago

The photos of the auditorium has at least 30 orbs in it..I counted..that is crazy..I hear that's the worst roon in the building…that and the boiler room..

Wes
Wes
10 years ago

I went there last night. Scary scary. Scarred for life.

Abby Mahan
Abby Mahan
10 years ago

Just really curious, CYN said something about a janitor and murders that a neighbor was sketchy about. What are the stories or rumors around this statement?

Copyright 2008-2020 by AbandonedOK.com - info@AbandonedOK.com - Designed By Michael Schwarz - Disclaimer

198
Have history here? Would love hear your stories or your thoughts.x
x