|City/Town: • Shawnee|
|Location Class: • School|
|Year Built: • 1936 | Year Abandoned: • 1990's|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • Michael Schwarz • Mary Evans|
Washington Elementary school was one of the three new ward schools built in 1904. Jefferson, Franklin, and Washington were all built on the same two-story floor plan with a basement and of the same architectural design. Washington was replaced by a newer building in 1937. The plot in Farrell Park where Washington stands was leased from the city for 99 years. In the 1980s when the school system went to grade centers, Washington housed all the Shawnee fifth graders. Use of the building was discontinued in the late 1990s.