• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - 1970's Abandoned

Boswell Jail

The Boswell Jail according to the placard above the doorway dates 1906 as when it was built. Although a local NRHP nomination dates it as being completed in 1939. Further evidence of it being built...

Claremore Boathouse

In April 1938 it was requested by Bert Sprangel, the light and water superintendent of Claremore Lake to have a boathouse built. Plans for an $8,000 rock building were sent to Washington for approval...

Arnett School

Most people know Arnett, OK as being located in Ellis County but many don’t know there is another one in Harmon County. Now, this Arnett is the one we will be talking about but only consists of...

Ron School

Excitement buzzed through the small town of Ron in October of 1939, word had just come that the Works Project Administration had approved the project for Ron School Consolidated No. 12. The...

Mineral View School

What came to be known as the Mineral View School House of District No. 19 got this building through the same tragedy that would decades later leave it baren. On March 4th, 1921 a fire broke out in...

Cloud Chief School

In 1937 the Works Progress Administration built the Cloud Chief High School for a cost of around $42,748. It is made of native stone and consists of a huge gymnasium that the Cloud Chief Warriors...

Prairie Grove School/Church

Located just West of Stratford lies a dilapidated building in a field, during the summer its vibrant red bricks clash beautifully with the green foliage that engulfs it. During the winter months, it...

Bennington Jail

The first calaboose of Bennington Oklahoma was constructed sometime during or before 1904 according to government maps. This was the only jail located in town and sat off of Nail and Williams Street...

Gold Belle Mill & Mine

The Gold Belles Mill & Mine was one of several mining operations in the Wichita Mountains seeking gold during the early 1900s. The entire operation was established in 1900 with a fifty-ton...

Eden Baptist Church

In June 1917 a new church was built on this site, with the frame building having 30×40 dimensions and renamed from Valley Center Baptist to the Eden Baptist Church. The congregation over the...

Woodland Gym

In 1941 the Woodland School House was gutted by a fire that began at around ten in the morning on December 4th. The entire almost brand new native rock structure was ravaged by the flames, luckily no...

Chickasha Jail

Chickasha’s old territorial jail was not always a jail, in fact it innocently started out as a storage room for construction workers working on the courthouse. In 1895 it was then converted...

Tom Mix Jail (Dewey City Jail)

For decades this two-room jail was known as the Dewey city jail, today it is more popularly known as the ‘Tom Mix Jail’. In 1912, before Tom Mix became a huge silent movie star he was the...

Stilwell Jail

The small cowboy jail of Stilwell’s history dates back to the early 1910s. While the exact date of its construction was sometime between 1910-1914, it first showed up on existing fire insurance...

Camp Scott

First opening on August 11, 1928 as Camp Ma-Del-Co and running for just a two-week period. Costs ran at either $5.00 for the first five days or $9.00 for the entire ten-day stay. The camp and the 240...

Saddle Mountain Mission

Thirty-one-year-old Isabel Crawford from Sedan, Oklahoma arrived in Saddle Mountain, Oklahoma in April 1896. She set out on a journey to establish a Baptist Mission in the town with the help of...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer