• Menu
  • Menu

Author - Emily Cowan

Emily is a two-time published author of "Abandoned Oklahoma: Vanishing History of the Sooner State" and "Abandoned Topeka: Psychiatric Capital of the World". With over two hundred published articles on our websites. Exploring since 2018 every aspect of this has become a passion for her. From educating, fighting to preserve, writing, and learning about history there is nothing she would rather do.

Cowden gym

Cowden Gym

Driving down the dirt road there is not much left of the Cowden Independent School District, in fact only one building remained for many years. That was the Cowden Gym, built in 1935 by the WPA which...

tanglewood school

Tanglewood School

Nestled behind a private tree line in Sand Springs, Oklahoma is a historic school with a plethora of development opportunities. Sitting on 3.5 acres is the Tanglewood School awaiting its new life...

Hollister School Facade

Hollister School Facade

The start of 1922 came with great news for the growing town of Hollister Oklahoma. A new consolidated school building would be constructed by next year with cost estimates falling around $30,000...

capitol hill general hospital

Capitol Hill General Hospital

Capitol City Hospital Clinic/Samaritan Hospital Oklahoma City’s population boomed throughout the 1920s and 1930s. This resulted in many suburbs of the city being created including what would be...

buffalo theatre

Buffalo Theatre

Pawnee Dry Goods Co. Constructed in 1894, this building throughout the years was depicted as “D.G & Milly” as well as a Hardware and Furniture store. But it was most popularly known...

Clinton Indian Hospital

Clinton Indian Hospital

Clinton Cheyenne-Arapaho Indian Hospital The early months of 1931 were filled with buzz in the paper about the brand new Indian hospital built on Clinton’s east side. Congress had passed the...

threatt filling station

Threatt Filling Station

The Threatt family history goes back more than a century. Having settled in the Luther area the family worked hard to make a living in the newly formed state of Oklahoma. Becoming avid farmers they...

alma school

Alma School

Alma High School was a WPA project that started around January 1940 and one that the whole town was proud of. It was built to replace the former Alma School that was fifteen years old. The structure...

Discoveryland

Discoveryland

Since 1976,  the Discoveryland amphitheater has brought family fun and musicals to Sand Springs and the surrounding area. Most popularly known for its showing of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical...

Camp Scott

Camp Scott

  First opening on August 11, 1928 as Camp Ma-Del-Co and running for just a two-week period. Costs ran at either $5.00 for the first five days or $9.00 for the entire ten-day stay. The camp and...

blackwell depot

Santa Fe Depot – Blackwell

The Santa Fe Depot located in Blackwell Oklahoma is a perfect example of the brick depots that were constructed more elegantly for the county seat holders. While it isn’t anymore, Blackwell did...

Bradley School

Bradley School

Bradley, Oklahoma even though it is a small town has a pretty deep history of schools, four buildings to be exact. The first school was a small one-room log house built in 1887 and burned down before...

Trail Drive-In Theatre

Trail Drive-In Theatre

Built in 1950 around the same time that the nearby Enid Drive-In was constructed the Trail Theatre was a single screen drive-in with a 400 car capacity. The Trail Drive-In Theatre is located south of...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer