Lynn Lane School

City/Town: Tulsa
Location Class: School
Year Built: 1928
Year Abandoned: 1975
Status: Demolished
Photojournalist: David Linde

Lynn Lane School was built in 1928 and was named after the street on which it was built. Most Tulsa schools are named after a person, so this school is unique in this way. The school was annexed in 1962 and finally closed in 1975. In 1970, a girl was raped and murdered by a laborer and her body was found next door to the school. Also in the 70’s, a chlorine tank down the street at the Lynn Lane water treatment facility ruptured forcing families to seek shelter at the school.

Special thanks to John Crockett for giving the location of this school and Janice Jones of Tulsa Public Schools for help researching the school.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Liked it? Help AOK take action to save some of these places on Patreon! Donations will help fund clean ups, securing of buildings and hopeful restorations as we work with the owners who want to bring them back to life.
Share.

Notify of
guest
56 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
casey
casey
2 years ago

Can anyone help me with the location? i searched but couldnt find it

Russel Havens
3 years ago

I'm quite late to this party, but just saw the site. I went to first through 5th grade at Lynn Lane Elementary (1972 through 1977–the last couple of years they'd migrated most students out). I have wonderful childhood memories of the place. It's sad to see it in such a state, but buildings do not last forever. Even in their poor state, these photos brought out a lot of memories for me, things I have not thought about in decades. I only remember a few of my teachers' names, but they had a profound effect on me, as children's teachers… Read more »

Tiffany
Tiffany
Reply to  Russel Havens
6 months ago

I lived in Broken Arrow from 1st grade thru 7th grade and then we moved to Tahlequah, OK. Although I lived in Broken Arrow, I was bussed to Lynn Lane school in 1976, 1977 or 1978. The school had been closed down in 1975 so it had been closed up until they started bussing me and others who lived in B.A. to Lynn Lane school while we waited for Parklane Elementary School in B.A. on Shelby Lane, (which was right off 71st), to finish being built. We had classes in prefab buildings out beside the school building itself but ate… Read more »

Daniel
Daniel
3 years ago

I grew up there and lived right across the street . On the corner of 11 and lynn lane . Went to 2nd grade up to 7th my name is Daniel and my brother Dudley and my sister lisa all went to school there and to church at the baptist church I rember the old burned out barber shop my Dad was Bill Dutton and my mom was Francile .my neihbors were the caldwells and the myers. I rember sherry myers and her family . I rember my best friend Danny wolfer and his Dad also lorie barrows , and… Read more »

Kevin
Kevin
3 years ago

I went there from 1966 -1969 1st 1st 2nd 3rd my best memory was playing on the big Rock and baseball my brother and my two sister's went there only lived 1 mile west on 11 no bus for us.

Claire
Claire
Reply to  Kevin
3 years ago

Does anybody have any information on the murder? Like news articles or anything of that nature?

Daniel
Daniel
Reply to  Kevin
3 years ago

Hey Kevin My name is Daniel Dutton and my family lived on the corner of 11 and lynn lane right across from the school .my nahbors were the caldwells across from us and the myers up the road who owned a gas station and then the sasenskis. (Im sure the spelling is incorrect) cant remember you ? My family lef .after 7grade I went to lewis and clark and moved to illinoise and then California .we lived on a farm were the resavoir was built .and moved to 11 and lynn lane. I have yet to meet any one from… Read more »

Marisa McLandsborough-tyre
4 years ago

Enter text right here!

Henry Forst
Henry Forst
4 years ago

My name is Henry, and I only have a couple of memories from that school. One was the swats the Mr. Davis would give, didn't like getting those very much. Two was my 4th grade homeroom teacher Mrs Godfree she was a big black lady that for some reason made a lasting impression on me as a young adult.
I will post this link in a group that I am in called The Eastsiders of Tulsa. So there might be some more comments coming soon.

Gary
Gary
5 years ago

I went to lynn Lane in 1966 ({6th grade) I remember alot of snow and how cold the rooms were. The auditorium room was used for head count homeroom and everything else to include plays and I think it was also used as a cafeteria..its been so long I may be wrong about using it to eat our lunches. I think it was used for everything since it was one of the few buildings that had heat. I moved from living near the KVOO Towers back into Tulsa and went to Bell Junior high after that-and haven't looked back since.

Snaps Magee
Snaps Magee
6 years ago

The clean image of the 'fighting cardinal' is interesting, since that's East Central's mascot and they've long used the image of a Cardinal with boxing gloves.

Blu
Blu
7 years ago

As I browsed the pictures I thought I recognized the buildings. Kelly gave a location above and that's exactly the school I thought this was when I saw the first few photos. It just looked so different inside that I doubted myself that it was the same place. After the school's closure in the late 70s it lay empty for a short time then was re-purposed as a private school. I was too young to care so I am not certain if the new school bought the land and buildings or perhaps leased the location themselves. In reading the comments… Read more »

Pallas Cleary
Pallas Cleary
7 years ago

i went there briefly, never knew about the murder until years later. now one of my friends just rented a house next door and she is going to love this!

Derek
Derek
Reply to  Pallas Cleary
5 years ago

I have actually caught EVPs of disembodied voices before they tore the school down. Here is a link to hear some of those EVPs if your interested http://www.chirbit.com/dhill1985 Click on the share links then hit play

SMH
SMH
7 years ago

I found a brass plate near the old schoolgrounds that obviously went on a wooden plaque. Etched in the brass plate are: Sooners League 1941-1942 Zelma Krosley, Laura B _ _ _ Z? (illegable),Gertrude Slaton, Arvola Phillips, Min Hughes, Hattie Slaton. If anyone knows whether any of these girls are still around…and would like to get this plate back and maybe even restore it/place it on a modern plaque, please post here. It would be great to return it…from lost history.

Frank
Frank
7 years ago

Dusty, my name is frank nichol, i think i grew up with some of your kin folks, would like to talk to you and see if you ever heard of them, her maiden name was crockett, my phone # is 918-282-6717, my email is frank_nichol@sbcglobal.net

Kent
Kent
8 years ago

I went to school there from 1969 to 1975. I appreciate the comment about the onions and the honeysuckle. I distinctly remember the bridge across the little creek which seemed huge to a 6 year old. We had about 10 acres to the west across the bridge that we could play on. We also had our gym days outside there. We ran the 50 "yard dash" and played baseball as a whole school there at the end of each year. The old prefab buildings were where most of the classrooms were. There was only one heater in the winter and… Read more »

Dusty Rogers
Dusty Rogers
8 years ago

My Great Grandmother built the school and was the teacher there. She leased the school to the county $1.00, and the lease was good as long as it was used as a school. We tried getting the school back years ago but we were not able to break the lease do to the school districts claim that they were using it for storage. Very sad its gone, it did great things for my people and the community.

Joyce
Joyce
9 years ago

I would love more information on Lynn Lane. My Grandmother was there (according to the 1930 Census). It listed her as an "inmate". I thought it was some type of correctional school for girls. I finally found this site and it looks like I may be wrong. Does anyone know where you can look at the records and get more information?

Andrea Feeback
Andrea Feeback
9 years ago

It is really sad that the school is gone. I attended school there from preschool until 5th grade when we moved to Claremore. I have the most fond memories of attending school and the many friends and great teachers I had in a small school atmosphere. I actually started a Lynn Lane Elementary page on Facebook – many of my childhood classmates posted and there are a number of pictures there. The school had lots of character, of course all of the white pre-fab buildings have been gone for years and I remember how fun it was to get to… Read more »

Hector
Hector
9 years ago

This building is now nothing but a pile of rubble. Demolition appears complete as of May 10, 2011.

Copyright 2008-2020 by AbandonedOK.com - info@AbandonedOK.com - Designed By Michael Schwarz - Disclaimer

error: Content is copyright protected by The Abandoned Atlas Foundation. To request the use of information/media: AbandonedOK.com/request
Have history here? Would love hear your stories or your thoughts.x
x