|City/Town: • Drumright|
|Location Class: • Industrial|
|Year Built: • Early 1900's|
|Year Abandoned: • 1954|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • Billy Dixon • David Linde|
Tidewater Oil Company (Tydol) was a major petroleum refining and marketing company in the U.S. for more than 80 years. Tidewater was best known for its Flying A-branded products and gas stations, and for Veedol motor oil, which was known throughout the world.
Tidewater, a national company, built this refinery in the Drumright area. The refinery was the center of the Tydol community, spawning a school house, grocery store and neighborhoods. When the Tydol refinery closed, many of the houses were moved out or torn down. The Tydol community virtually disappeared with the exception of the school house.
All that remains of the refinery are a few buildings, foundations and furnaces. All the processing units have been removed.