|City/Town: • Vera|
|Location Class: • Jail|
|Built: • 1906 | Abandoned: • N/A|
|Status: • Abandoned|
|Photojournalist: • Emily Cowan|
Mr. Carr donated a small bit of land just 135 by 82 feet, just off of Main Street to build a jail. Tin and timber were gathered from J.W. Chandler and Son Lumber Yard, the only lumber yard in town at the time. The materials were used to construct the outer building that enclosed the steel barred cage inside. Finished in 1906, it was fitted with two cells and two beds. This was a popular style of calaboose before the concrete pour-in-place method became popular after 1910. Metal scrappers and vandals stole the beds out of both cells so it was decided to move the jail in 1990-1991 behind town hall to help preserve one of the last historic buildings left in the town. There was a proposal to add the jail to the National Registry of Historic Places but was denied since it had been moved from its original site. It is still there behind Town Hall and accessible to go inside and take pictures.
Smith, Lucille. The Town of Vera. 1980.
“Vera: The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture.” Vera | The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=VE002.
“15 May 1958, 3 – The Collinsville News and The Owasson at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/597079305/?terms=vera%2Bhigh%2Bschool.
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!