• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Emily Cowan

City Hospital

By 1920 it was evident Hominy needed a bigger hospital to serve the 2,500 residents in Osage County. Miss Winifred Williamson at one point had started taking flu and pneumonia patients into her house...

Claremore Boathouse

In April 1938 it was requested by Bert Sprangel, the light and water superintendent of Claremore Lake to have a boathouse built. Plans for an $8,000 rock building were sent to Washington for approval...

Santa Fe Depot – Ponca City

Getting a Depot How Ponca City got its depot is a very interesting one, starting with a rivalry between two towns. Cross Oklahoma a ghost town now, felt that for a Cross man to visit Ponca City was...

Cloud Chief School

In 1937 the Works Progress Administration built the Cloud Chief High School for a cost of around $42,748. It is made of native stone and consists of a huge gymnasium that the Cloud Chief Warriors...

Andrew Goodholm House

The Victorian-style elaborate Goodholm House was the project of Swedish immigrant Andrew Goodholm. He was prominent in the Oklahoma City community being known as a builder, a city councilman and...

Empire Refineries Inc. Plant

Okmulgee in the early 1900s was a hub for the oil industry. In 1909 the Empire Refineries Inc. was a large operation in Okmulgee just along the Okmulgee River and conveniently next to the S.F.R.R...

Tom Mix Jail (Dewey City Jail)

For decades this two-room jail was known as the Dewey city jail, today it is more popularly known as the ‘Tom Mix Jail’. In 1912, before Tom Mix became a huge silent movie star he was the...

Oney School Gym

All that is left of the Oney School is the 1939 gymnasium constructed of large stones. The brick building that housed the classrooms sat close nearby and was actually two buildings mashed together...

Nowata, OK

Located twenty-one miles South of the Kansas state line, sits the city of Nowata. The origin of the name comes from two theories, one being that it is a derivative of the Delaware Tribe word no-we...

Gotebo, OK

The town of Gotebo was originally known as Harrison Oklahoma, named after President Benjamin Harrison. The settlement was established in 1901 during the opening of the Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache...

Slick, OK

Slick, Oklahoma is the truest example of an oil town if there ever was one. Starting as just a lone cottonfield it was the discovery of oil by Tom B. Slick that put it on the map. Within a short...

Old Victory Baptist Church

Based on the stonework of the old Victory Baptist Church in Pershing its construction is estimated to have been in the late 1920s. Church records showed that in 1924 the church had about fifty-sixty...

Lenapah, OK

See All Galleries at the End of the Article Deemed the “Cowboy Capital of the World”, Lenapah’s history dates back to the late 1800s. In 1889 the Kansas & Arkansas Valley...

First Baptist Church (Colored)

The First Baptist Church (Colored) of Anadarko is unarguably one of the most significant structures of the town. Not only for the African American community that it served but all of the community...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer