• Menu
  • Menu
Arnett School

Arnett School

Location Class:
Built: 1928 | Abandoned: 1988
Status: AbandonedBurned Down
Photojournalist: Jeff Hodge

Arnett SchoolMost people know Arnett, OK as being located in Ellis County but many don’t know there is another one in Harmon County. Now, this Arnett is the one we will be talking about but only consists of the abandoned school buildings and one farm structure left. The first Arnett school was constructed in 1928 as the sign reads above the entrance to the property. By 1934 the school was large enough to warrant the construction of a gymnasium. F.M. Pease Principal took care of the dedication on December 28th of that year. Just a year later more additions were added to the campus of the country school and construction of two additional classrooms, a native stone teacherage, and a truck shed were underway.

Being one of the largest rural schools it offered the popular sports of track, basketball, baseball, and a 4-H club. They received roughly $1,651 in state aid as opposed to the $150 that other schools in th district received. All grades were taught here having a total enrollment of ninety-five and eleven teachers in the 1940s. But like all of the other schools in Harmon County one by one they dropped like flies failing to support dwindling towns. Arnett was consolidated with Hollis at some point between 1964-1970 and the campus was left abandoned.







If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.

Donate to our cause Check out our books!

Emily Cowan

Emily is a two-time published author of "Abandoned Oklahoma: Vanishing History of the Sooner State" and "Abandoned Topeka: Psychiatric Capital of the World". With over two hundred published articles on our websites. Exploring since 2018 every aspect of this has become a passion for her. From educating, fighting to preserve, writing, and learning about history there is nothing she would rather do.

View Locations

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer

error: Content is copyright protected by The Abandoned Atlas Foundation. To request the use of information/media: board@abandonedatlas.com or copy and paste link to post