• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - 1980's Abandoned

Hotel Sparks

Hotel Sparks 1922-1924 In 1922 George W. Sparks had the idea for a grand hotel in Okmulgee. A three-story brick matt-faced building that would be named Hotel Sparks was erected with the help of...

Miller Theatre

Miller Theatre opened in May of 1947, the perfect start to summer with crowds gathering to see films. It was one of four movie theaters at the time but one of the more popular ones out of the...

Franklin Hotel

In 1927, a prominent Mangum resident, Ralph Helper attended a convention in Alva, Oklahoma. The convention was being held at the “first-class”, Bell Hotel. The Bell Hotel had opened in 1922 and was a...

Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corp.

Kaiser Aluminum and Chemical Corp was opened in 1953 and produced 150,000 tons of urea fertilizer annually at its peak. The 360-acre complex consists of two ammonium plants, two urea plants, a...

Empire Refineries Inc. Plant

Okmulgee in the early 1900s was a hub for the oil industry. In 1909 the Empire Refineries Inc. was a large operation in Okmulgee just along the Okmulgee River and conveniently next to the S.F.R.R...

Sunshine Laundry Cleaners

Dating back to 1928 when it was constructed this building has been home to a laundry company. Starting out with National Sunshine Laundry Co., they were known around Oklahoma City as one of the best...

Osage Generating Station

The Oklahoma Gas & Electric Company had been serving the territory since 1902, predating statehood. The only two cities it served at the time were Oklahoma City and Enid but soon grew to serve...

Bryant Center

The Bryant Center was an idea thought up by two businessmen, H.T. Greenhaw and Ferrill Martin. Opening as Bryant Recreational Center which would become a place of entertainment for the mostly African...

Rosenwald Hall

The town of Lima, Oklahoma is one of just thirteen historically all-Black towns existing in the state. Named after the local limestone quarries it was incorporated in 1913. Constructed in 1921 by...

Saint George Greek Orthodox Church

Original Saint George Greek Orthodox Church The Greek Orthodox Christians established a congregation on September 25, 1914, as the Greek Society of St. George of Oklahoma City. By 1917 they had...

Black Apartments

The four-story Black Apartments were named after and owned by E.R. Black. Built in 1920 for the residents of the growing town of Okmulgee, the job was not completed smoothly, a newspaper article...

The Edwards House & Store

Edwards House Thomas Edwards was an English immigrant but came to the United States from New Zealand. While it is not entirely sure how he ended up in the Choctaw Nation the assumption can be made...

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church

Built in 1929, this building has been home to Mount Carmel and Memorial Churches throughout the years. Mount Pleasant Baptist Church was organized in the 1940s. Back in those days, it was in the...

W.S. Kelly General Merchandise

W.S. Kelly General Merchandise Wilbur S. Kelly built the General Merchandise store in the mid-’20s in what was known as “New Cogar”. He ran the store for a short period of time...

Eagle Park

Herbert Woesner began with a vision of a family fun amusement park and after nearby Craterville Park closed due to Fort Sill moving onto the land there was a need for one too. He was a farmer at the...

Concho Indian School

Assimilation In 1867, the Arapaho and Cheyenne tribes were forced to move to a reservation land in Indian Territory near Fort El Reno, Oklahoma. The Dawes Act broke up the reservation land stating...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer