|City/Town: • Guthrie|
|Location Class: • Hospital|
|Year Built: • 1925, 1946 | Year Abandoned: • 1978|
|Status: • Restored|
|Photojournalist: • AbandonedOK Team • Michael Schwarz • James Kirkendall|
It was in 1925 when The Methodist Episcopal Conference began construction on the brand new hospital in Guthrie Oklahoma, however due to the depression plans to complete the facility were halted. It wasn’t until 1932 when a nonprofit organization in Guthrie purchased the unfinished medical structure and named it Cimarron Valley Wesley Hospital.
In 1946, the Order of the Sisters of Benedict purchased the hospital and completed construction soon afterward. St. Anthony Hospital, owned and operated by the Sisters of St. Francis of Maryville, Mo., bought the facility with help from the community in 1964, renaming it Alvero Heights Hospital. The name was changed to Logan County Memorial Hospital in 1974.
The hospital was deeded to the county in 1977 and a replacement facility opened west of Guthrie in October, 1978.
In 1982, R&T Properties, a partnership of local businessmen Ray H. Riddle and Hal A. Treadwell, purchased the former Logan County Memorial Hospital and its four acres for an undisclosed price from the Logan County Hospital Trust Authority. The five-story, 55,000-square-foot building, located at 19th and W Warner in Guthrie, was supposed to be remodeled into 50 to 70 one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments but the project never got off the ground.
Starting all the way back to 2009, we tried reaching out to neighbors and city officials to find the owners to let us in, no luck. Security was obviously a priority though because I was constantly hearing about arrests being made of people trying to break in, thank goodness! It wasn’t until December 2016 when James Kirkendall, an Abandoned Arkansas team member, finally was able to track down the persons in charge. They told Kirkendall that Belmont Management recently purchased the decaying building and had plans of repurposing it into senior housing.
This was great news, it’s also good to hear when our states historic places can be saved. Right before construction began, in March of 2017, Kirkendall was able to able to get us an exclusive tour of the inside.
The interior was gorgeous; square glass walls, the doors from the 1940’s, the metal light fixtures, the original ceiling. It was all still there. During the tour, we met the former owners head of security that told us of their high end set up. There were pressure triggers on the front lawn and the back that would instantly notify police, hidden cameras on all sides of the building. He told us a few time he heard conversations of people who planned to break a window; they were arrested shortly after. As we continued, we found an old birthing table in the middle of the hallway, signage and on the second floor the nurses station’s buzzer system still had electricity and was in working condition. (Photos below).
Now, in 2020, the hospital has been fully redeveloped and reopened as the The Villas of Benedictine Pointe Apartments. “And we’ve tried to keep it as historically correct as possible,” said Property Manager Jim Martin. They offer studio, one and two-bedroom apartments. A happy ending for the vacant hospital.
– Michael Schwarz, AbandonedOK
Read more about the renovation: https://hamiltonpropertiescorporation.com/blog/villas-of-benedictine-pointe
Oklahoma Historical Society