|City/Town: • Wagoner|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: • 1959 | Abandoned: • N/A|
|Status: • Demolished|
|Photojournalist: • David Linde|
A few months into 1959, the City of Wagoner proposed a brand new school to be built just West on the outskirts of town. Voters approved a $37,469 bond issue for the new building which would replace the current building for Star School District No. 11 students. The building would consist of two classrooms, office space, stage, kitchen, two restrooms, dressing rooms and an auditorium. Architects J. Scott Workman of Tulsa was the architect and J.V. Powell was the general contractor of the project. Open house for the school was held on September 11, 1959, with the welcoming teachers being Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Hickman and Board members Ira White, L.H. Dockrey, and Guy Cooper.
The Star School, which started out as a one-room schoolhouse set to make their rural community just as advanced with the right tools as any other school. Prior to building the new modern brick building, the one-room schoolhouse was in need of many repairs and most students were being transferred to the city schools. After building the new school the district was just as advanced as the others. Sixty-two students were enrolled with teachers Jim Zachary, Barbara Alsup, and Loretta Berry.
It’s unknown just exactly when the Star School became abandoned, probably the 1990s. It then became a popular place for kids to go and hang out, graffiti and drink causing great neglect to the building. This led to the eventual demolish of the Star School.
Gallery Below of Star School
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!