|City/Town: • Pauls Valley|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: • 1939 | Abandoned: • 2000's|
|Status: • Abandoned • Private Property|
|Photojournalist: • Jeff Hodge • Eric Price|
In February 1939 citizens of the Walker Consolidated School No. 3 voted to allow a $12,000 bond for the construction of a new handsome structure. The WPA approved the project and designed a one-story red brick with a flat roof. The attached gymnasium portion of the building had a barrel roof. Above the recessed entrance reads: ‘WALKER CON DISTRICT NO. 3.’ Also plated next to the entrance is a weathered bronze WPA shield that reads: ‘USA / 1939 / WPA / OKLAHOMA.’” The cornerstone lists J.K. Ciddens – Director, J.V. Webster – Clerk, Boyd Stanley – UNK, B.H. Thomas – Supt., and Harold F. Flood Arch. The new building was ready for occupancy later that year with eight classrooms. This was a building of modern architecture with the most updated facilities something unusual for a rural area school. Known as the Walker Wildcats, with such a handsome facility hosted many tournaments, community gatherings, events, suppers and holiday events.
THIS IS PRIVATE PROPERTY. SOMEONE DOES LIVE ON AND WATCH THE PROPERTY. WITHOUT PERMISSION THIS IS TRESPASSING AND THOSE WILL BE PROSECUTED.
Gallery Below of Walker Consolidated School No. 3
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!