|City/Town: • Cushing|
|Location Class: • Industrial|
|Year Built: • 1953|
|Year Abandoned: • 2003|
|Status: • Demolished|
|Photojournalist: • Michael Schwarz • Mary Evans|
Established as Dalton Precision in 1953, it opened as a Steel Foundry. Locals often complained that Dalton was steel dust through the air that would ruin the paint on your car. until 1980 when the factory was purchased by Robert Evans. Cushing is sometimes referred to as the “capital of the American oil kingdom,” and it seems as though Mr. Evans wanted to capitalize on that industry in that area. The community contains the biggest bank vault of U.S. oil in the country, with more than 80 million barrels of oil storage capacity, according to Bloomberg Businessweek.
Mr. Evans reopened the factory as “Evans Cushing Incorporated,” they repurposed the facility into an oil drum factory and by the looks of the newspaper clipping and records left behind, the company was doing very well, until the late 1990’s when inspections of their operations came into question.
According to USA.com Evans was producing harmful and hazardous chemicals in the area:
“A national inventory of emissions data of both hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) and criteria air pollutants. Criteria air pollutants include ozone, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, sulfur oxides, lead, and fine particulate matter and HAPs, or air toxics, are defined in section 112(b) of the 1990 clean air act amendments.” – Read More from USA.com