• Menu
  • Menu
Hinton Junction Courts & Cafe

Hinton Junction Courts & Cafe

City/Town:
Location Class:
Built: 1940 | Abandoned: 1960's
Status: Abandoned
Photojournalist: Michael SchwarzEmily Cowan
Hinton Junction Courts & CafeLeon and Ann Little of Hinton were two entrepreneurs who realized the traffic of Route 66 and took advantage of it. In 1940, Leon and Ann were working on building their third service station in the area. Shortly after the completion of their third station Leon was drafted and was given 6 months to make arrangements leaving him with the only option of leasing the Little’s Gas Station and Cafe. EB Enze was the man who he leased it to and in a clever business move shut down the Little’s Station and building his own nearby, this would become Hinton Junction Courts & Cafe. It would consist of a curios shop, cafe, and 24-hour service station, and a five-room motel in a building at the back of the property. Waitresses would get pay and tips, and were sometimes offered room and board in the motel as well as the cooks.

Hinton Junction Courts & Cafe

Throughout the 50’s it was owned by Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Johnson up until its closing in the 1960’s due to the Interstate 40 being built and taking away travelers from Route 66. In an Anadarko Daily Newspaper dated March 04, 1962, the Hinton Junction went up for sale to the highest bidder. This included the service station, cafe, tourist court and five-roomed motel, the buyer of this once bustling business would be required to pay 20% of the purchasing price on day of sale to be put in escrow.




 

 

Bibliography

“4 Mar 1962, 9 – Anadarko Daily News at Newspapers.com.” Newspapers.com, www.newspapers.com/image/631971747/?terms=hinton%2Bjunction.

“Route 66 Lost & Found.” Google Books, Google, books.google.com/books?id=okdgtKfaZGwC&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=EB%2BENZE%2BHINTON%2BJUNCTION&source=bl&ots=_sTfotPd1r&sig=ACfU3U0w_zDIWP19DsvkzkBFwVAsYKrA3g&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi69KeqpYXqAhVFJKwKHRA-CioQ6AEwAXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=EB%20ENZE%20HINTON%20JUNCTION&f=false.

Sonderman, Joe. 66PostCards.Com, www.66postcards.com/postcards/ok/OK077900.html.

Emily Cowan

Hinton Junction Courts & Cafe

Emily is a two-time published author of "Abandoned Oklahoma: Vanishing History of the Sooner State" and "Abandoned Topeka: Psychiatric Capital of the World". With over two hundred published articles on our websites. Exploring since 2018 every aspect of this has become a passion for her. From educating, fighting to preserve, writing, and learning about history there is nothing she would rather do.

If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.

Donate to our cause Check out our books!

Emily Cowan

Emily is a two-time published author of "Abandoned Oklahoma: Vanishing History of the Sooner State" and "Abandoned Topeka: Psychiatric Capital of the World". With over two hundred published articles on our websites. Exploring since 2018 every aspect of this has become a passion for her. From educating, fighting to preserve, writing, and learning about history there is nothing she would rather do.

View Locations

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

12 comments

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer

Total
0
Share
error: Content is copyright protected by The Abandoned Atlas Foundation. To request the use of information/media: board@abandonedatlas.com or copy and paste link to post