• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - African American Heritage Site

Bryant Center

The Bryant Center was an idea thought up by two businessmen, H.T. Greenhaw and Ferrill Martin. Opening as Bryant Recreational Center which would become a place of entertainment for the mostly African...

Okmulgee Black Hospital

In February 1922 the Okmulgee Board of City Commissioners named J.M. Whitehead to gather together plans to construct the first colored hospital in Oklahoma. Plans for a two-story brick building with...

Rosenwald Hall

The town of Lima, Oklahoma is one of just thirteen historically all-Black towns existing in the state. Named after the local limestone quarries it was incorporated in 1913. Constructed in 1921 by...

First Baptist Church (Colored)

The First Baptist Church (Colored) of Anadarko is unarguably one of the most significant structures of the town. Not only for the African American community that it served but all of the community...

Page Woodson

1910 Lowell Elementary Originally built as the Lowell School in 1910, this date was engraved above the west entrance. It quickly grew in enrollment Students were held to a standard of morality and...

Marcus Garvey Leadership Academy

Harmony Public School The story of Marcus Garvey Leadership Academy goes back to the 1920s. The $55,000 building was erected in 1927 as Harmony Public School. It opened its doors to students in the...

Lincoln Colored School

It was decided in 1929 that the growing African American population in Fairfax needed a separate school due to Oklahoma laws of segregation. Students were taught at a private residence while Walter L...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer