• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - Northern Oklahoma

Shidler Jail

Shidler Jail

The Shidler jail now sits as a shell, a reminder of our past and the history that sits forgotten all around us. In 1922 Deputy Sheriff John H. Penland announced Shidler was on track to construct a...

Shidler Jail

Goode Mansion

The Goode Mansion is another mansion in Fairfax which was built on Native American land as a result of oil money. Presumably built in the 1920s when the oil and gas industry took off creating boom...

Shidler Jail

Avant Jail

The Avant Jail is presumed to have been built in the 1910s. According to an inspection sheet from Sept. 11, 1924, stating that the jail was in bad condition and recommendations to get glass windows...

Shidler Jail

Bird Creek School

Bird Creek is a two-room school built by the WPA, construction started in 1938 and was completed in 1939. It was a small country school for District 17 that got its name from the nearby Bird Creek...

Shidler Jail

Gray Horse School

Construction Gray Horse School which can also be spelled as Greyhorse or Grayhorse, was constructed by the WPA in 1939, the architect that designed it, AJ Love was a popular designer of 150+...

Shidler Jail

St. Camillus Catholic Church

With only a few crosses on the outside of the old St. Camillus building and a sign with no writing, it’s hard to tell that a Catholic Church was once an active part of Marshall. The building...

Shidler Jail

Hotel Jameson

Like many other towns, Burbank Oklahoma had its upbringing through the discovery of oil in the 1920s. Discovered just north of the town by Ernest W. Marland, was one of the best petroleum fields in...

Shidler Jail

Tallchief Mansion

The Mansion Alexander Tallchief was an Osage Indian who obtained his wealth like many others in the Osage tribe through the 1920’s oil boom. A 10-room structure constructed of terracotta bricks...

Shidler Jail

Vera Jail

Mr. Carr donated a small bit of land just 135 by 82 feet, just off of Main Street to build a jail. Tin and timber were gathered from J.W. Chandler and Son Lumber Yard, the only lumber yard in town at...

Shidler Jail

Marshall School

Today, the quiet town of Marshall sits with a population of around 300 people and a very wide Main street that was once home to parades, large farms, school children playing and an area that...

Shidler Jail

Lincoln Colored School

It was decided in 1929 that the growing African American population in Fairfax needed a separate school due to Oklahoma laws of segregation. Students were taught at a private residence while Walter L...

Shidler Jail

Burbank Jail

A calaboose is a tiny jail, like this one there are many scattered in the old towns of Oklahoma. Most built in the early 1900s, they were used to hold inmates for minor crimes such as public...

Shidler Jail

Max Wofford’s Hideout

“Big Bob” was an appropriate nickname for Robert M. Burnett, a senior Garfield County deputy sheriff in 1984. “Big Bob” stood 6 feet 10 inches tall and weighed close to 400...

Shidler Jail

Skedee School

What happens when entire schools are forgotten? As is increasingly the case with the now-abandoned Skedee School.  First constructed of wood in the year 1906, the original school was replaced by a...

Shidler Jail

Pawnee Indian School – Boys Dormitory

The Pawnee Indian School in Pawnee, Oklahoma, was one of many federally funded boarding schools built around the turn of the century for the purpose of assimilating Indian youth into white American...

Shidler Jail

Waukomis School

During the first few years of statehood the community thrived. By 1909 it offered residents Christian, Congregational, Evangelical Lutheran, and Methodist churches, the Waukomis School, and the...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer