• Menu
  • Menu

Archive - School

Nowata, OK

Nowata, OK

Located twenty-one miles South of the Kansas state line, sits the city of Nowata. The origin of the name comes from two theories, one being that it is a derivative of the Delaware Tribe word no-we...

Gotebo, OK

Gotebo, OK

The town of Gotebo was originally known as Harrison Oklahoma, named after President Benjamin Harrison. The settlement was established in 1901 during the opening of the Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache...

Slick, OK

Slick, OK

Slick, Oklahoma is the truest example of an oil town if there ever was one. Starting as just a lone cottonfield it was the discovery of oil by Tom B. Slick that put it on the map. Within a short...

Lenapah, OK

Lenapah, OK

See All Galleries at the End of the Article Deemed the “Cowboy Capital of the World”, Lenapah’s history dates back to the late 1800s. In 1889 the Kansas & Arkansas Valley...

Carter G. Woodson School

Carter G. Woodson School

Town History Originally there were around 50 all-black towns established in Indian Territory, Tullahassee is thought to be the oldest of the 13 still standing all-black towns. Tullahassee’s...

Rosenwald Hall - Lima

Rosenwald Hall – Lima

The town of Lima, Oklahoma is one of just thirteen historically all-Black towns existing in the state. Named after the local limestone quarries it was incorporated in 1913. Constructed in 1921 by...

Page Woodson

Page Woodson

1910 Lowell Elementary Originally built as the Lowell School in 1910, this date was engraved above the west entrance. It quickly grew in enrollment Students were held to a standard of morality and...

Nuyaka Mission

Nuyaka Mission

Nuyaka Mission Indian Boarding School 1882-1922 In 1880 a fire put Tullahassee Mission to an end after forty years of education for the Creek Nation. This left a gaping hole in education and the...

Columbus Elementary

Columbus Elementary

On July 20, 1910 block 27 was bought from the Oklahoma Industrial Co. for $2,700 for a new school that would be known as Columbus Ward School. Originally supposed to be a two-story structure it was...

Checotah School

Checotah School

Little about the Checotah School is known other than it was built in 1927 on the Northwest side of Okmulgee. Although the year 1927-28 was said to be “the best in the entire history of Checotah...

Marcus Garvey Leadership Academy

Marcus Garvey Leadership Academy

Harmony Public School The story of Marcus Garvey Leadership Academy goes back to the 1920s. The $55,000 building was erected in 1927 as Harmony Public School. It opened its doors to students in the...

Colony Public School

Colony Public School

Seger Indian Training School John Seger built the Seger Indian Training School through federal funding in 1892. Under the supervision of John Seger, the Indians worked to complete the brick school...

Old Prue School

Old Prue School

Second Prue School ~1912-1939 The first record I could find of Prue Schools was an article from The Osage Journal, April 25, 1912, reporting of a tornado “The fine farmhouse of Henry Prue was...

Bird Creek School

Bird Creek School

Bird Creek is a two-room school built by the WPA, construction started in 1938 and was completed in 1939. It was a small country school for District 17 that got its name from the nearby Bird Creek...

Gray Horse School

Gray Horse School

Construction Gray Horse School which can also be spelled as Greyhorse or Grayhorse, was constructed by the WPA in 1939, the architect that designed it, AJ Love was a popular designer of 150+...

Copyright © 2009- - Abandoned Atlas Foundation - board@AbandonedAtlas.com | Designed By Prairie Nation Creative, LLC - Disclaimer