|City/Town: • Oklahoma City|
|Location Class: • School|
|Built: • 1950 | Abandoned: • ~2000s|
|Status: • Demolished|
|Photojournalist: • AbandonedOK Team|
Thomas A. Edison elementary school was completed in 1950 and by December of that year the students and teachers had moved in making themselves at home. It was the typical architecture of that time period, large classrooms, some with sloped ceilings. Narrow hallways that connected classrooms to central areas such as offices, restrooms, the multipurpose auditorium. Some of the teachers of the first decade included Kindergarten – Mrs. Frielander; First grade – Mrs. Honska; Second grade – Mrs. Rueble; Third and Fourth grade – Mrs. Brown; Fifth grade – Mrs. Phillips, Thelma Lowder, and Vernice Sellman who was principal in the latter half.
It closed as a school in 1974 due to low enrollment and as a part of Oklahoma City’s extensive consolidation plan. It then became the home of the Oklahoma City Campus Police Transportation Dept. Training Program. The building became abandoned in the early 200s and sat for years falling further into a state of decay. On April 16, 2016 the beloved small suburb school was demolished, completely erasing its physical existence. The sign was salvaged from one of the former students and put on display in their backyard, keeping the memories of Thomas A. Edison Elementary alive for years to come.
Article by AOK Photojournalist Emily Cowan.
[Photograph 2012.201.OVZ001.6921], photograph, December 21, 1950; (https://gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc1699494/: accessed May 27, 2021), The Gateway to Oklahoma History, https://gateway.okhistory.org; crediting Oklahoma Historical Society.
If you wish to support our current and future work, please consider making a donation or purchasing one of our many books. Any and all donations are appreciated.
Donate to our cause Check out our books!